Orange County Pet Groomer Answers: How to Properly Clean the Gunk From Your Dog’s Eyes
If your dog suffers from seasonal allergies they probably gather a lot of gunk around their eyes. This condition typically gets worse during the spring, summer and fall. If not properly removed, the gunk can cause the hair around the eyes to stick together, and cause eye infections. Even though medication can be used to prevent these infections, nothing is as effective as daily cleaning. Claws N Paws Day Spa, your Orange County pet groomer, can help!
- Start by taking your dog for a long walk to tire them out. A dog is always easier to work with when their energy level is low.
- Use your hand to wipe your own closed eye. This will help you determine the proper amount of pressure to use on your dog.
- Soak a couple of clean towels in lukewarm water. You want them to be dripping wet when you use them. It can be helpful to keep them in a bowl of warm water while you work.
- Have your dog lie on one side.
- Using the wet towel, make sure your dog’s eye is closed and gently wipe the dog’s eye in one direction over and over. Start from the inside corner of the eye and move to the outside corner. As the gunk gets wet it will break loose from the hair and skin around the eye. If the towel becomes too dirty, switch to another a clean one. Remember to never pull, tug, force or press hard when removing the gunk.
- Stubborn bits might need the use of your fingers to slide them off. Use a very soft touch to try to remove them and then resume using the wet towel. Never use strength or force as this can hurt your dog’s delicate eye area.
- After finishing with one eye, have your dog turn over and repeat the process.
Claws N Paws Day Spa offers pet grooming services in Orange County, California. For more information or to schedule a grooming appointment, please contact us at 714-962-1005.