Fall Pet Care
Fall is finally here and the holidays are just around the corner. Let’s take a look at the top fall pet care tips:
- Canned pumpkin is good for dogs. The soluble fiber in pumpkin can help with digestive issues, while the antioxidants and essential fatty acids in the seeds promote healthy skin, fur and urinary health. In addition, the nutrients found in pumpkin might reduce the likelihood of your pet developing cancer. Try adding 1 to 2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin to your dog’s food.
- Enjoy your time outdoors before the cold weather sets in.
- Look for signs of allergies. If your pet is itching more than usual, check with your veterinarian to identify possible allergies. Keep leaves raked and grass short to eliminate excessive irritation to your pet’s skin.
- Brush your pet regularly to prevent shedding. In the early fall pets begin shedding their summer coat to allow room for their winter coat. Regular grooming can help keep excessive amounts of fur from accumulating in your home.
- Check for fleas and ticks. Talk to your groomer or veterinarian about effective treatments.
- Keep rodenticides away from pets. During the fall, rodents tend to move inside to avoid cooler outdoor temperatures. Poisons used on rodents are extremely toxic to pets. If they must be used, do so with extreme caution and only put them in places that are inaccessible to your pets.
- Keep back to school supplies out of reach of pets. Crayons, markers, glue and pencils can all be toxic or cause a choking hazard. Explain to your children that they must keep these supplies away from pets at all times.
- Remember pet safety when decorating for holidays. Keep electrical cords, small parts and ropes tucked away where pets cannot chew on them or become tangled in them.
- If you take your pet out during Halloween, keep them close and in reflective clothing whenever possible.
- Learn the foods that are dangerous to pets. Halloween candy can contain chocolate, which can be deadly to pets. In addition, Thanksgiving dishes can contain onions, garlic or other poisonous foods. Keep an eye on pets trying to steal from the feast.
Claws N Paws Day Spa offers quality grooming services for both dogs and cats in Fountain Valley, California. We also offer mobile pet grooming to all areas of Orange County. For more information, or to schedule a grooming appointment please call 714-962-1005.
Receive a free teeth brushing for your pet when you mention our blog!!