Removing Ticks From Pets
Humans, birds, reptiles, wild and domestic animals are all susceptible to ticks. Ticks feed on the blood of their host and can sometimes pass serious diseases. In fact, pets can contract multiple diseases from just one tick bite. Ticks must be removed carefully and should never be removed with bare hands. The following steps will help you safely remove ticks from your pets:
- Start by filling a jar halfway with isopropyl alcohol. Set the jar on a stable surface where it will not get tipped over.
- Have another person restrain your pet. Have them gently stroke, praise and reassure your pet to keep it calm.
- Put on latex gloves to avoid direct contact with the ticks.
- Dampen a cotton ball with alcohol and gently dab it around the tick. This will disinfect the area and reduce the chance of your pet developing an infection.
- Using tweezers or a special tick-removing device, grasp the tick as close to the skin as possible. Pull the tick out by applying steady pressure. Be careful not to jerk or twist the tick. This can cause its mouthparts to detach inside of your pet’s skin.
- Place the tick inside of the jar of alcohol. This will preserve it in case laboratory identification or testing becomes necessary. Do not flush the tick down the toilet as doing so will not reliably kill it.
- Disinfect the area around the bite wound with more alcohol.
Ticks should be dealt with as quickly as possible. Inspect your pet regularly for ticks, especially after walking in grassy areas.
Claws N Paws Day Spa offers professional pet grooming services in Fountain Valley, California. We also offer mobile pet grooming to all areas of Orange County. If you are unsure if your pet has ticks, or how to remove them yourself, we would be happy to show you. For more information, or to schedule your next grooming appointment, please call 714-962-1005 today.